> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Insulating Ductwork;
Login | Register

Insulating Ductwork;

Posted by Hugh V on October 16th, 2001 02:46 AM

I was wondering about the feasibility and sensibility of possibly insulating the ductwork in my home. The house is three years old, all electric, and in half of the house the ductwork is still exposed since the ceiling has not yet been finished. It caused me to wonder if it would be beneficial to insulate around the ductwork using the theory that it would allow the air, heated or cooled, to better maintain its temperature on the way to the final destination. My thought would be to maybe use a roll-type insulation that has the foil on one side so that side could be placed against the duct, theoretically reflecting the temperature toward the duct. Would that work or be a correct idea to try? It doesn't seem like it would cause any air pollution problems since the duct should be sealed anyway. Also, along that line, is it worth it to place any insulation around the unit in the house (the ac/heat unit)? Again, since it is an electric unit it seems like it would be safe due to no hydrocarbons or anything needing to escape and as long as I made sure to leave all areas that are currently designed to be open (such as where the filter goes in) alone. Sorry this is so long, just want to provide as much information as possible so those with ideas and willing to help will have as much as possible at hand.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC