> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > insulating a finished attic
Login | Register

insulating a finished attic

Posted by Sean O'Connor on May 26th, 2001 11:17 PM

I have a house that is almost 100 years old, with a hipped roof and a large walk-up attic. We have owned the house for about 3 years. The previous owners "quasi-finished" the attic with some kind of wallboard (not gypsum). However, I don't believe there is any insulation in the ceiling. I would like to insulate it, because it gets incredibly hot up there in the summer and cold in the winter, and it really shows when I get my gas and electric bill. I can find plenty of information on installing insulation into the floor of the attic, but I can't seem to find any information on how to protect the attic itself from temperature extremes. My biggest concern is ventilation. There are none in the roof itself, but there do appear to be soffit vents (I can feel cold air coming in aroung the periphery of the attic, where the roof line meets the attic floor.). There is a single large dormer facing south (front of the house), that has a gable vent (there used to be a window there). Do I beed to install any additional vents or batting before I install insulation?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC