Hi! We recently had a problem with a wood eating fungus on one of our finished basement walls. The wall that had the problem was exposed 3/4 of the way on the exterior of the house. Our walls have a coat of thoroseal on the block, 2x4 studs, then an unfaced fiberglass insulation and all that is/was covered by a heavy sheet of plastic. The plastic was a blessing since it did ot allow the build up of moisture to build up on the seetrock so that we fortunately did not have a mold problem. The rest of the basement is fine this wall was a fluke in that the soil level had been built up above the exterior vapor barrier allowing a tiny patch / puddle (6" x 3")of Iron ladden water to accummulate on the floor. It took ten years to start comming out below the trim and be noticed.
All that said I am curious if in the year 2003 there is a better way of insulating since we now have to reconstruct that wall.
Thank you for you time and attention,