renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Instructions
Login | Register

Instructions

Posted by Harold Kestenholz - Hydronic Network on January 6th, 2001 02:57 PM
In reply to Hollow castings by Harold Kestenholz - Hydronic Network on January 6th, 2001 02:28 PM [Go to top of thread]

I can see where more information could prevent damage. This was the original note:

"The end of the radiator where the vent is might need a small amount of gentle lifting (by a block of wood and a pry bar), perhaps 1/4", just enough to make sure the water falls back down the single pipe. Be careful, this may break the pipe connection.

The steam pressure might be too high at the boiler also. It is best to let a trained heating plumber do this work."

I am not sure how the - "a small amount of gentle lifting (by a block of wood and a pry bar)" could be thought of as driving a pry bar between the floor and legs - a block is much larger than a wedge and a wood block is neither a metal pry bar nor a wedge; but unfamiliarity with terminology is possible. The previous instruction on Nov 9 had a little more about making only wood to wedge under the legs:

"It is lifting the end with a lever and hammering carefully to drive the wood under the legs of the radiator. People who are careful about moving the radiator as little as necessary to get the wedge underneath can do it. This prevents breaking the connections."

Technical writing is a never-ending challenge to communicate successfully. I will have to be careful not to instruct to stop the plumber from moving the radiator too much - this could lead to the use of deadly force.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC