> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Installing programable thermostat
Login | Register

Installing programable thermostat

Posted by DIY Novice on January 19th, 1999 04:54 PM

3 of 12 people found this post helpful

Moderator Post:
> Hunter set and save manual thermostat manual by Handyman on 01/24/2008

I have a mid 70's (I think) AirTemp oil furnace. I have no air. The thermostat (AirTemp label on outside, Honeywell label on inside) seems to be all out of whack. I would like to replace it with a new programable one, since it doesn't seem to work properly and I've read numerous places about how much $$ the programable ones can save you.

My questions: Can I put one of these new thermostats on my furnace? I looked at Home Depot and there seemed to be only two main types, one for heat pumps and one for furnaces (oil, gas). They seemed to say something like "work with any low voltage controlled furnace". How do I know it will work for my furnace?

My current thermostat has heat controls only, with two wires going to it and what looks like a mercury control switch. Also, can I install a thermostat
that has Air controls in addition to Heat and just not use the Air controls right now (planning for a cooler future!)? I looked inside the furnace and they had a wiring diagram for heat/air thermostats.

From what I've read, this installation seems fairly easy, is it? I'd hate to end up with no heat.

In addition, any comments on where the best location for a thermostat is?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC