> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > installing new ext. door in old house
Login | Register

installing new ext. door in old house

Posted by cduhamel on April 30th, 2002 10:11 PM

Ever since I've bought my house, in 5/01, I've been on this site every day, at least five or six times getting info from other homeowners asking questions.

Steve, Jason, Dodgeman, RonJ, gordon, and everyone else who contributes to answering these questions, thank you! You've helped out those of us just going through the first-time homeowner fixer-upper pains. I am getting knowledge out of your responses to many of the questions.

Now, I have one that I'm sure is an easy one.

I'm installing a new exterior pre-hung new door in an existing wall. My R.O. is 82" x 38" for new construction per the instructions received by the manufacturer. I've already framed the R.O. to those specs. We've had to replace the floor, so what we have presently is a 3/4" subfloor, to which a 3/4" hardwood floor will be installed. This weekend we want to install the exterior door (we haven't cut through yet). Should we be installing this door to the subfloor level, or should the door be installed to the finished floor level?

We will also be installing a deck which, I think, should be the same height as the finished inside floor -- is that correct to assume, or should the outside deck be lower than the finished inside floor? BTW - we live in CT.

thanks for your help

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC