> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Installing cabinets on less than square surfaces
Login | Register

Installing cabinets on less than square surfaces

Posted by Bruce M on October 26th, 1997 01:21 PM
In reply to out-of square adjustments by Betty Lehman on October 26th, 1997 08:17 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Betty:
I really need more information about your walls irregularity to address possible solutions. Does the wall lean into or out of the room? Does it pitch back to the left or right as you face it, or is it a washboard effect....common on some turn of the century homes finished by discount plasterers.

Most cabinets are built with the cabinet back dadoed into its sides, which will give you usually 1 to 3" of just the plywood (or particle board) side touching the wall. For a cabinets exposed (visible after installation) side, I hold it in place against the wall, using a cabinet jack and/or combinations of clamps. Once plumb, I use a compass, set its width to the widest gap the cabinet has with the wall, and scribe a line down that side of the cabinet, following the contour of the wall. I cut this line using a saber saw with a new fine tooth blade to minimize splintering.

In your case, this will have to involve taking down the cabinet(s) to do this.

A quicker but less asthetically pleasing method is to use thin flat stock of the same material the cabinets are made, slide it along the side of the cabinet until it hits the wall and plumb it vertically, then do as described above, then finish this piece to match the cabinets and attach it to the cabinet side using small (1") brads.

Hope this helps

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC