> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Installing a subfloor in basement
Login | Register

Installing a subfloor in basement

Posted by Thomas M on January 3rd, 1999 02:03 AM
In reply to Basement flooring query by Don on January 2nd, 1999 06:54 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

Hi Don

I know I'm over simplifying the process but in a basement you'll want to test the slab for excessive dampness.Tape a small square of plastic trash bag to the slab(seal all the edges w/tape).Check it after several days.If there is condensation you'll have install a moisture barrier(not quite as scary as it sounds!).If its dry you can glue the subflooring to the slab.Although I like to err on the side of caution and install a moisture barrier because its easier to do it now than be bummed out when you have problems after your done your finish flooring!!If you go that route the slab w/masonry primer
2.Snap 16" lines across the short dimension of the room..cover each line w/construction adhesive
3.Place p.t. 1x2's on lines secure to slab w/a hilti or remington(or if you want some exercise..1 1/2 masonry nails on 2' centers.
4.Lay 4 mil poly film over 1X2's and sandwich the film w/another layer of 1X2's nailed w/ring shank nails.
5.Now your floor will have a good moisture barrier which causes big problems w/certain types of finish flooring.

As far as some good literature on it..Try the Home Depots literature section or try Taunton press online..

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC