> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Installing a gas range in place of a cooktop
Login | Register

Installing a gas range in place of a cooktop

Posted by EAM on August 11th, 2001 03:09 AM

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

Hi -
What a great board! Lots of info - thanks everyone for the time you take to answer...

We have an older house that has a narrow double wall oven (gas). It stays hot all the time. We had it checked out, but the repairman was a smart-aleck and said it was just that type of oven, and to be glad we could keep food warm without extra gas costs. We also have a gas cooktop that is really really old and sad.

We are thinking of cutting out the rest of the cupboard below the cooktop and installing a "normal" gas range. (I can't use many of my roasters and cookie sheets with the little wall ovens.) We would then like to take the wall ovens out completely and make this into a pantry area.

How realistic is this project? Since we are dealing with gas, can it be done ourselves? (My hubby is a maintenance supervisor and loves to do projects, but the natural gas has me a bit worried - don't want to have anything exploding!) Do we need professionals to cap off the gas lines where the wall ovens were? Do we need extra insulation inbetween the existing cabinets and the new range?
Thanks for any advice & suggestions you can offer!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC