> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > inspectors
Login | Register

Posted by bc on January 26th, 2001 10:49 AM
In reply to Inspections by JackD on January 25th, 2001 11:18 PM [Go to top of thread]

Thanks for balanced view on inspectors, Jack. In some places all you have to do is take a test and pass it to be an inspector. I know someone who is trying to be one but I never asked which organization he is going through. He has some study guides and every so often he goes and takes a part of the multi-part test. He is a nice well intentioned guy but has no construction experience whatsoever. So far he has been struggling and hasn't passed all the tests yet. They allow retakes so I assume he will make it unless he gives up. Just wanted to point out that a certified inspector may not necessarily have ever pounded a nail.

Of course the usual is that the inspectors haven't done any electrical, plumbing, hvac, and mechanical work and may not understand the rules of the trade. It is also easy sometimes to point out scratches, poor workmanship, mistakes, and accidents (ever have a concrete form blow out?) but sometimes there just aren't fixes without starting all over again. Some fixes actually end up looking worse than the mistake to start with(even paint touch-ups). Even the best builders have crews that make mistakes and have accidents. Not that we shouldn't strive for perfection but achieving it isn't easy.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC