> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Inspections
Login | Register

Posted by JackD on January 25th, 2001 11:18 PM
In reply to EXCELLENT Points (That Made Me Think Some More ...) by Jay J -Moderator on January 25th, 2001 08:25 AM [Go to top of thread]

No Jay, it isn't stretching the point to say that the inspector should find some write-ups on a new home. I just didn't want to say it! And unless there's an excessive amount of write-ups, it shouldn't reflect negatively on the builder. I have NEVER inspected a home, new or old, that I didn't have some write-ups. I inspected one where I only had one write-up once. Trust me, that's not normal! If I inspected my house, I'd have to have it condemed!

Joe, love your post as to where to find qualified, trained inspectors. I won't comment on ASHI, but I will say that in states that have state licensing requirements, you will probably not find anyone that belongs to ASHI. I believe that there are only two states with licensing requirements, Texas and Calif. I could be wrong because I haven't been keeping up with it. But as Jay and I have discussed earlier that still doesn't assure you of getting a qualified inspector.

Brian is absolutely correct. If you have gas appliances, have them checked thoroughly. One inspector asked the sellers why they were selling and they said that they were putting his mother in a nursing home. She lived with them and spent all her time in her bedroom sitting on the bed. Under the heat vent. When he did a carbon monoxide test he had a high reading in her room and she always had the door closed. She didn't need a nursing home, she needed fresh air. You can't pay too much for a carbon monoxide tester if you have gas appliances.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC