> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Inspections
Login | Register

Posted by JackD on January 24th, 2001 11:11 PM
In reply to (Minor Clarification ...) by Jay J -Moderator on January 24th, 2001 12:23 PM [Go to top of thread]

I agree with Jay. I've inspected homes for 12 years and I have never inspected a new home where I didn't find a few things wrong. Things like hot and cold water reversed, no GFCI recepticals where they were suppose to be, GFCI's not operating properly, A/C ducts left disconnected in attics, reversed polarity on recepticals, ungrounded recepticals, windows that won't open, improper attic ventilation, no crawl space vents, plugged up shower heads, improper valleys on the roof, bathroom lights that go off after they got hot and the list goes on and on. Some are things that the homeowner wouldn't notice or possibly find until after the builders warranty has expried. No matter what the reputation of the builder is, the chances are that he's not there all the time during construction and even if he keeps the same crew for every house, the people on the crew change. I've had builders have me inspect their new homes before they sold them so they could fix all the irritants before a buyer bought the house. He'll probably fix all those things after you buy the house IF you catch them but then you are inconvienced by having to wait for the repairman. Also have the inspector come back (usually for a smaller fee or free) and check the repairs after they have been done. It's important to be with the inspector while he's inspecting the house to make sure you get a thourough inspection and so that you can ask questions. Hope this helps some.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC