> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Input/opinions on "natural wood" faux finishes
Login | Register

Input/opinions on "natural wood" faux finishes

Posted by JH on March 31st, 1999 01:33 PM

Does anyone have experience painting faux wood finishes on interior wood trim? I want to strip and refinish my interior woodwork, but there is so much paint on it that stripping/refnishing is not practical or cost-effective. Replacing it with new wood trim is also too expensive. Out of desperation, I am considering trying to paint a faux finish that looks like natural wood over the trim's existing white paint. Does anyone have experience at this? If done properly, will it look real or will it just look like a tacky imitation? Is it possible for someone with no experience to do this job right? Will it matter that I'll be doing this treatment to a lot of wood throughout the house? In other words, will this type of faux finish look good on large pieces, like a built-in china hutch and interior doors, or does it only look good on small pieces, like picture rails? Are some types of faux natural wood finishes easier to recreate than others? (e.g. is the look of finished oak easier than finished redwood to achieve?)

Any input is greatly appreciated, since it may save me from making a big mistake!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC