> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > In my area, many tract homes are....
Login | Register

In my area, many tract homes are....

Posted by Steve: on September 28th, 2001 03:20 PM
In reply to Cracks in new house by Glenn on September 27th, 2001 04:48 PM [Go to top of thread]

either built during a drought or in a saturated area. soils in my area move with the amount of water content in them. Therefore, a home built when the soils were dry and rain comes after construction, the home may rise 3 to 4 inches up. Then when it drys out, the home falls back.

Rising and falling of a slab is normal, but when a section does not fall at the same rate as the entire slab, you then have serious problems.

Many cable lock companies have tried painstackingly to strap the slab together so that is moves in unison, but this is alot to ask.

If tract homes, or cookie cutter homes were built like roads were, there would not be this shifting as much.

Notice all the water used when building the initial stages of super highways? This is all to settle and minimize the movement of soils during droughts and monsoons.

Home builders do not do this, on tract homes, its too expensive and takes too long.

Since you have a basement, that tells me that you have somewhat stable soils or you would not have one. Basements are usually built where the bedrock is close to the surface and stability is greater.

What your home is doing is settling into its groove. Too much settling will not only cause doors not to close, but rupture pipes, both water, gas and all that good behind the wall stuff.

As cracks go, they will disappear during the fall and winter and spring, but return in the summer. I would monitor these movement areas for three to four years before I do any modifications that hide the cracks.

Rely on your new home warranty on this and you may need jacks or supports to bring up a certain side of the home.

Watch the walls on the exterior and determine which one is falling or rising more than the others. This is very easy to do.

Good luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC