renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > important things to consider...
Login | Register

important things to consider...

Posted by jb on March 1st, 2001 09:49 AM
In reply to feltpaper removal by Wayne on February 28th, 2001 08:55 PM [Go to top of thread]

I have been in your situation before and I do not envy you. I personally don't know the best way to remove this stuff but I do have some important things to consider...

I was always told that this stuff is full of asbestos. You might try searching the board for posts related to this (load the entire page and hit "Control+F" and type in related key words) or maybe someone else will chime in regarding this potential hazard. I could be wrong, but I would want to be sure before possibly exposing yourself or your family to this stuff.

Also, using any solvent on a large sccale such as wd-40 or other can be dangerous. If you do end up using solvents then extinguish all pilot lights and any source of spark etc. (maybe including not using light switches) and run one or more window exhaust fans with all the windows open etc.. I have read stories of people firing up a belt sander with solvents around and the motor brushes caused enough spark to cause a spectacular flash fire. Also, what is below, a basement? What happens if solvent leaks through the floor and drips into the basement? furnace? etc. Be careful! I don't mean to be mr. gloom and doom, but better safe than sorry...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC