> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > If you are talking about installing a new piece of glass....
Login | Register

If you are talking about installing a new piece of glass....

Posted by Jason on May 15th, 2002 06:00 PM
In reply to window glazing wood windows by dennis e on May 15th, 2002 11:06 AM [Go to top of thread]

Greetings Dennis E,

If you are replacing a pane of glass, you need to make sure that you clean the tract in the muntins so you have a nice flat place for the glass to set in.

Tools and materials needed to do the job:

A small wood chissel seems to work the best for me, I use a small putty knife (about 1"), a small can of DAP 33 caulk, some points, and a small dish of water.

I clean the tract of the window with the wood chissel and make sure to remove the old caulk and points. (carefull not to remove the wood)

Then I take out some DAP 33 caulk and roll it in my hands like a snake. (When it becomes very plyable, it's done.) Using the putty knife, I apply a thin layer of caulk as a base.

I set the pane of glass into the tract and then placing the points on the glass, GENTLY, using the putty knife, slide the points into place.

Then, I again roll the caulk and place it at the edge of the glass. Using the putty knife, I draw the glazing against the muntin at the desired angle. I wet the putty knife every now and then to smooth the caulk. flip the window over and remove the extra caulk and let dry.

You could probably use caulk in a tube but, it's not as much fun! (remember Play-do?)

I hope this helps.

Good luck,

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC