> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > If I Understand The Problem ...
Login | Register

If I Understand The Problem ...

Posted by Jay J on June 12th, 2000 12:18 PM
In reply to Installing kitchen cabinets by Jo Ellen Peters on June 12th, 2000 06:47 AM [Go to top of thread]

... You'll have to lay/attach a piece of wood on TOP that's set back the thickness of your soffit. In other words, if your soffit is 3/8" thick, set the piece of wood back 3/8" from the FACE/FRONT. Screw/glue this strip in place and set your soffit in place. You'll need to either glue your soffit to this piece of wood, or install some sort of moulding over top of where the soffit meets the FACE/FRONT of the cabinets (if there's room to do so.)

As far as what to do where the soffit meets the ceiling, you'll have to attach a similiar piece of wood to the ceiling and glue (or mold over) a piece of matching wood in place. I suggest you use trim screws to attach some sort of matching moulding, above and below the soffit, in case you want the soffit removed. If you glue the soffit in place, well, good luck removing it. You may damage 'something' ...

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: Again, if I understand the problem, install BOTH pieces of wood 'back', away from the FACE/FRONT at the thickness of the soffet. Use a level and a small piece of scrap (or sample) soffit as a 'guide'. (It can be a piece of plywood if you don't have any small pieces of soffit.) The reason I think you ought to use moulding (or trim) at the top and bottom of the soffit is because, in the vast majority of cases, the ceiling is NOT perfectly flat. If it were, you wouldn't need moulding ...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC