> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > I've Posted this question before but......
Login | Register

I've Posted this question before but......

Posted by erin on March 21st, 2002 07:04 AM

Hi again, I've posted this question before but i never got my husband to read the responses that I got... No we are in a complete battle over our floor. My floor is slanted in the hall through the bathroom and in my son's room behind the bathroom....Ok no big deal we know the problem....Support beem is completely rotted(dry rott) We know the house needs to be jacked up... Problem lies here...I say we need to get some hydrolic jacks, Some 6x6's and sister the existing beam and gradually inch it up.... However There was an addtion over 75yrs ago.... and the beam thats rooten was origianlly supporting the exterior side of the house... now the centre...the joists are running in the same direction as the support... So my husband says we need to get a few 6x6's and run them across the joists underneath the worst part of the sag in the hall, the worst part in the bathroom and the worst part of our sons room ....(a guy at work told him this is how its done....this guy was also a natural gas tech, house builder, computer programer and a few other things..why he took this job and major paycut is beyond me... full of *hit i think) This same guy told my hubby the other day ...NEVER Jack your your house up your walls will crack(No Duh!)BUt to instead support whats there and level the floor instead...I told me husbands the guy is on crack.. we have a basement we the advantage.... fix it right or dont fix it all...this is something I want to do ourselves...also have to do our selves...Not enopugh pennies in the bank.... but needs to be done.... Now I told my Hubby that I would check on here again and get him to read for himself your advice. I have called a few contractors and the price is way too high plus they all said I need an engineer in here to draw up plans and such....Wouldn't they now what needs to be done? Ok now after such along story and some great venting of my frustration, can someone tell what the right thing to do is? please I beg yous=) I'm goin g grey at 23 over this.... Thank you all in advance

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC