> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > I've built 15 rocker cradles
Login | Register

I've built 15 rocker cradles

Posted by deecee on February 6th, 2003 12:48 AM
In reply to maple beech or poplar by tomh on February 5th, 2003 08:33 PM [Go to top of thread]

over the years,the first for my daughter, which I recently restored for her daughter. So this has been an ongoing evolution over the last 26 years with a little different variation of the cradle for various relatives. And I can say unequivocably that I agree with Jennifer in KC. Western Red Alder is a fine choice for this undertaking. It's still a reasonably priced wood, machines pretty fair, has a grain like cherry , and takes a pretty good beating. The finish on the last cradle (and the last I intend to build!) I crafted was finished with a very light washing of wood conditioner, resanded with 120 grit abrasive (if you sand it too fine, it won't accept much stain), stained with Minwax cherry stain/ sealer and then lightly misted with Blondit Mahogany Red stain (or whatever the hell you want to call acts like an opaque paint) and a final finish of satin poly acrylic. Call it bragging but it looks like a hundred year old cherry cradle. I also have had excellent results using Alder with water based stains. My $.02. Luck, Kizmet

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC