> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > I used to be of the mindset
Login | Register

I used to be of the mindset

Posted by Moderator, Steve on December 29th, 2002 10:27 PM
In reply to Can I put tile on old laminated kitchen counters? by susan millican on December 29th, 2002 10:14 PM [Go to top of thread]

that it would not work or hold on something as slick and non porous as a laminated countertop. But, I have been shown that I am definately wrong. It will work and it will hold.

I would get some course sand paper and rough up the countertop. This is only to make scars on the laminate to assist in a good hold.

Get a plastic trowel and some pre mixed thinset. Trowel on the thinset with the large notch side. Then lay down your tile.

I always dry lay my tile first so that I know where each piece fits. If you have a tile cutter and nippers that is great if not, dry run all the tile and then mark the ones to cut and take them to a home center and they will do thisj for you.

When your done, three days after the grout has cured out, then be sure to silicon the grout. This is extremely important on a countertop.

Remember this, wait one day after laying tile before applying grout, wait three days before siliconing.

Remember many people on this board have answered so many questions about cleaning grout off the ceramic tile. Be sure and read the instructions carefully on this phase. You should begin removing the grout off the ceramic tile 20 minutes after application. Then you may do 15 or more clean water wipe downs to remove the haze.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC