> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > I Use To Have A Painted Kitchen Floor ...
Login | Register

I Use To Have A Painted Kitchen Floor ...

Posted by Jay J on October 14th, 1998 11:30 AM
In reply to Painting Wood Floors by Mike on October 13th, 1998 03:44 PM [Go to top of thread]

At first, I thought it was the strangest thing to see a painted floor, stenciling on the borders only.

Then, I found out why the kitchen was this way when we bought the house. Apparently, the previous owners spent over $20,000 in the kitchen to have it renovated. Maple cabinets (22 of them), drawers (11 of them), and a desk too! And newly applianced. Then, the husband got transfered to another timezone so the wife stopped spending. The kitchen floor was 3/4" plywood and would look like crap if they left it as installed. So, she sanded, primed, and painted it an off-yellow and put in a nice flower border. It looked nice until we decided to cover it (as it should) with a permanent (vinyl) floor.

I hope you have a nicer 'finish' layer other than 3/4" plywood subfloor. The key would be to make sure it's primed well and top-coated with a durable paint meant for walking, pets, heavy foot traffic, utensil-dropping, etc., etc.. Then I'd seal it so you can clean it up easy. I'd try to stay neutral with the paint in case you don't like a heavier color. And lastly, don't skimp on cheap primer and paint! Looks are gonna be important here so spend a few extra $$$. Try Finnaren & Haley, MAB, Benjamin Moore, Duron, or Sherwin Williams. They should have more info for you. If you need more specifics, post up what type of floor it is you're painting as well as what the cabinates (cabinet face) is made of.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC