> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > I spend two months last summer building log homes
Login | Register

I spend two months last summer building log homes

Posted by Moderator, Steve on October 26th, 2002 10:41 PM
In reply to walls bowing log home by dolly on October 26th, 2002 07:17 PM [Go to top of thread]

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

with a crew. The company was Satterwhite Log Homes.

There are many log home companies and builders but I am sure there are also short cuts and things skimped in the market place just like any thing else.

Logs are supposed to be dried and treated before shipment to the intended site. Logs come in many shapes. The common "D" log is very attractive because it gives the appearance from the outside of a log home and inside the walls are flat, just like the letter D.

The fitting of the logs and the fastening procedure I imagine do vary from company to company.

This company, the logs are plowed on one end and grooved on the other so that they fit into each other. Then as specifications mandate, you fill the grooved area with liquid nails and then drive a one foot spike every two feet along the log that fastenes to the log below. The spikes are alternated so that one does not go into another one below.

This long winded process is to allow logs to be stacked and not to bow or cantilever out as to tumble down.

Now the question is, how are your logs fastened to each other. Find out who build the home and see if they have a model home or how they are built. I cannot think of any way to fix a bowed log wall unless building supports on the outside that will cause the wall to be supported and straighten up. This might even be a brick wall of sorts.

Hard to tell.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC