> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > I second that!
Login | Register

I second that!

Posted by Jackie on June 29th, 2001 05:42 PM
In reply to It sure helps having this message board to ask! by Bob D on June 19th, 2001 02:09 PM [Go to top of thread]

My husband and I are in the process of building a new house which we started last summer. We were going to do all the work except for framing it up and roof. My husband is a pretty handy guy and have concluded he is better than most of the pros. I should write a journal of all the screw-up the professionals made. Just for example: I contacted the brick layers at the very beginning of the job and they never came and never came. Finally, last Thanksgiving when it had turned cold and never warmed up again, they finally came. In the meantime, they told us we could go ahead and side up to the point where they would brick. Well, in order to lay the brick, they had to put up a heat houser to keep the area warm. You guessed it - they melted the vinyl siding all down the side where they bricked it. Then our hardwood floor people kept putting us off. Then the very day before they were to lay the floors, the man had a heart attack, so my husband and a friend laid the floor. The wife of the man came and finished the floor - what a horrible mess! And they came with very good references. My husband should have done that too, I guess. Our house came with the windows in (its not modular but is factory built)and they were wrong so they replaced all the windows but all the seals were bad and had to be replaced this spring. Trying to save a dime, we went with pine trim and paintable interior doors which we ordered through our builder. Talk about junk! But we made it work. I could go on and on but I won't. It has been quite an experience which we will probably never repeat again. So when people hear we built a new house I tell them its not as romantic as it sounds.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC