> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > I need a roof solution, if anyone has any ideas
Login | Register

I need a roof solution, if anyone has any ideas

Posted by Tamster on May 7th, 2001 05:57 PM

This was the last house that my husband ever wanted to buy. Guess what... we bought it four years ago. So we have made some changes, expensive and inexpensive, and it's home now. The ugliest part of this masonry house is the roof, making it the "dog" of the neighborhood. It is "nearly" flat over most of the house except for the garage and the 70's add-on which are both flat. It has an odd box that juts up about 24" for the a/c duct to fit from garage to house. It currently has rolled roofing material and has not sprung one leak, yet. We would like a little more pitch. I have seen some roofs that have been "capped". Some look okay, others are a study in disaster. They often have gabled ends with a 4:1 pitch. I live 20 mi. west of Tampa about 1 mi. from the Gulf and I am concerned about the ability of this "capped" kind of roof system to withstand a hurricane. We have agreed on a hipped design, but I think that a 4:1 pitch would look tacky, the house is less than 1500 sf. We have to be creative, we love metal roofing but our budget is somewhere around mud and palm fronds. Apart from tearing the whole thing off and starting over, what other ideas are out there? Thank you in advance for your advice!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC