> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > I'm Curious ...
Login | Register

I'm Curious ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on January 13th, 2002 10:39 AM
In reply to Follow up by Jason on January 12th, 2002 09:58 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Jason,

Being that asbestos cement siding is 'categorized' as an ACM and as a NON-friable material, why is encapsulation required if the siding is removed per OSHA regulations? I can understand encapsulation for FRIABLE asbestos but not for non-friable. My research hasn't shown where it's necessary in Michelle's case. I've been wrong before but this is a first, so that's why I ask.

It is a fact that the EPA 'frowns' upon siding over the ACM since the 'breaking up' of the siding WILL cause the material to become airborne, even if you layer it with fan sheathing.

I patiently await.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: Michelle - I'm not saying YOU should do the removal (if you choose so) but it's highly recommended. On top of that, UNLESS your Municipality prevents you from doing so, you need to follow some basic guidelines and MAY be able to do it yourself. In short, you DON'T want to 'break up' the material and you DO want to wear gloves, a mask (that's 'rated' for the fibers), long clothes, and a hat. As long as it's PROPERLY handled w/care, then assuming you can do it in your Municipality, you can do it yourself AND save quite a bit of $$$. To have it removed cost me less than $300 about 3 years ago.

PPS: God Bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC