> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > I like your theory, but.....
Login | Register

I like your theory, but.....

Posted by David on April 26th, 2003 06:23 AM
In reply to New Pressure Treated wood by ICIPaint Rep on April 25th, 2003 11:19 AM [Go to top of thread]

...I've yet to ever see this done successfully with pressure treated wood & not have it begin failing as soon as 1 month later.

From everything I've seen in the past 20 years of doing remodels, additions, restorations etc., where treated wood has been painted, I'd have to say that (overall) painting treated wood is a gamble no matter when or how you do it, and it never seems to hold up as well compared to untreated woods; no doubt due to conflicts with the chemical residuals.

In my work as a general contractor & custom home designer/builder, I tend to use pressure treated lumber only for joist & structural framing when it comes to decks & other exterior applications, and even then only by "hand-picking" all members I will use and adding joist hangers/brackets at all joints.

If a client absolutely insists on using treated lumber for a decking surface, I'll do so, but will not guarantee the exposed finished traffic surface in the same manner as I would a Trex or redwood surface, because even using screws & carefully selected lumber, any treated lumber directly exposed to the sun & elements WILL wind up shrinking, splitting & warping.

If you wait only a brief time for the treated lumber to dry to what might be called an "acclimated state" & then paint with a porch/floor latex without primer as you suggest, so the wood is still allowed to breathe, the wood IS going to continue to dry & split, just as it would if it wasn't painted at all. I'm sorry, but the result has been the same every time I've seen it done, or done it myself.

I'm a dedicated ICI Glidden buyer, using your paints, lacquers, modified lacquers, and professional water seal regularly, but when it comes to CCA or ACQ treated lumber as a finish product, I'll install it if it's asked for, but I sure wouldn't paint it, period; I want to be able to guarantee my work to last.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC