> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > I Knew This, But ...
Login | Register

I Knew This, But ...

Posted by Jay J on February 22nd, 2000 08:01 AM
In reply to Crawlspace by The Insulator on February 21st, 2000 06:37 PM [Go to top of thread]

I know what you're saying. Bottom line, whether you have a crawlspace or a basement, it should be finished/insulated, then basically, heated. Well, that may be most economical and easier to do when doing new construction. Believe me, as BC says, with new construction, you'd either build on a slab or pour a basement, OR, build a crawlspace, then insulate and seal to-the-max, and heat. The problem is, that unless you have $$$ to heat and finish/insulate a 'space' that's of no liveable use, why spend the $$$? Yes, if you DO spend the $$$, you'd most likely dramatically reduce or possibly eliminate moisture issues in the house. But again, (it's a vicious circle) at what cost and can it really be justified?! Certainly a debateable subject ...

To bring this 'discussion' around, let's leave the academically-correct answer aside. What should the majority homeowners of EXISTING crawlspaces do to dramatically reduce, or eliminate moisture (aside from what you already went at great length to explain)? (A rhetorical question; I'm not looking for a reply on this one.) That's pretty much the basis of my Follow-up. Believe me, as BC says and I agree, if I was having a house built w/a crawlspace, I'd do much more with it at construction time to handle condensation. I'd be looking at the lot's water-runoff potential, downspout and gutter issues, high water table, and so on. To be honest w/you, if the terrain isn't to my liking where I can't properly address water issues, I wouldn't buy/build. Plus, I wouldn't buy/build in a flood plain or where the water table is high. But again, it's academic. The vast majority of lots aren't perfect. And as for moisture problems on the 'average' lot, yes, there'd be some but not to a great extent where fiberglass w/a moisture barrier can't handle it, along w/vents. The problem is the real world doesn't lend itself to the academic solution in MOST cases. Again I'm agreeing w/you for new construction. Unless I have your expertise, I wouldn't be doing what you're suggesting to my existing crawlspace because it just seems like a lot to do for an unusable space. (There's that vicious circle again.)

Thanks for the info and I'll be listening. I've said all I'm gonna say but if you're interested in saying more, please be my guest. I'll read it but unless you have a specific question for me, I'll let you 'close' on this one. Do have a good day, and I mean it.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC