> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > I Haven't, But ...
Login | Register

I Haven't, But ...

Posted by Jay J on November 15th, 1999 09:01 AM
In reply to vinyl to ceramic by ona on November 14th, 1999 07:47 PM [Go to top of thread]

Some things (among others) to consider BEFORE going from vinyl to ceramic.

If my floor isn't 'sound' enough to support ceramic, what will it take to make it so? (Have it 'certified'.)

If my floor is over an unheated crawlspace or basement or garage, will I like the cold floor under my bare feet (or slippers) since you will be standing on it a while to cook or clean? (You can consider a Warm Floor system, or look into insulating the floor.)

If I have young children, dropping things will break them. That means glass everywhere from the pickle jar if it's dropped! (It may survive a drop on a vinyl floor.) If you drop a pot or a knife or anything relatively heavy, it may 'chip' the tile. It may 'dent' or cut the vinyl but I can live with that (and patch if necessary.)

Your floor MAY be raised up as much as 1" or more for tile to be installed. This mean doors and doorways need to be re-cut, and thresholds into other rooms may have different heights now. Although there are transition strips, will you live with the differences?

As far as ceramic to tile, I can't help you there. As you can probably tell, I thought about going to tile but my wife said all this 'stuff' and talked me out of it.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC