> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > i had same Q; thanks for the help!
Login | Register

i had same Q; thanks for the help!

Posted by anne k. on January 11th, 1999 09:28 PM
In reply to Bonding new Formica over old in a kitchen by TomR on September 6th, 1998 12:16 AM [Go to top of thread]

thanks for the good answers to these questions. i'm surprised it doesn't get asked more often.
i asked guys at two different home improvement stores, and they both told me no, it can't be done, but they gave conflicting reasons. one guy said you can't laminate over solid-surface laminate, b'cos you need a porous surface to adhere to, and the second guy said no, it can't be done, b'cos you can't finish the front edge correctly (that didn't make sense).

since my countertop is in great condition, just outdated, after reading these tips, i think i'll try sanding my formica first, and if it looks like it'll take forever, i'll try chiseling it off. if all else fails, i'll send the whole thing to a landfill and get a new countertop, i guess.

but then again, the cost difference between a newly-made countertop and a couple sheets of laminate plus adhesive plus a router bit isn't that time may be better spent elsewhere.

i'd appreciate any more advice anyone can give on this one...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC