> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > I did this last month and I will never do it again..
Login | Register

I did this last month and I will never do it again..

Posted by Steve: on September 5th, 2001 10:04 PM
In reply to removing ceramic tile by T J on September 5th, 2001 08:38 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

This home had ceramic tile on the walls and I just figured,(wrong), that the tile was affixed to some sort of wall or wall board. The tile was affixed to cement or mortar that was sprayed on metal lathe. The removal of the tile is fairly easy but the mortar comes off with it in big chunks. Then you have to remove the mortar from the metal lathe and pull it off the wall. The metal lathe was attached by heavy staples to the exposed wall studs.

I found the big problem was removing the cement so that I could get to the metal lathe and pry it off.

Once you get all this out of there, then you will have exposed wall studs to either hang drywall or whatever. Depending on the builder, you may have a lap type wooden walls where the lathe was attached to. You will just have to find out.

I removed all this with the following tools, a wide bladed brick chisel, a hand sledge, a heavy pry bar, heavy gloves, and some metal cutters, and a heavy pair of pliers to pull the stuff off.

Good Luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC