> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > I'd Wait ...
Login | Register

I'd Wait ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on December 12th, 2001 01:10 PM
In reply to moldy rafters by grant on December 12th, 2001 09:33 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi grant,

I'd let the concrete cure for a while. You have PLENTY of time - You'll be moving in soon ...

Anyways, I kinda discourage folks from sealing the floor. I prefer to let the moisture in the floor enter the room. Sealing it may cause blistering underneath, depending on the amount of moisture trying to come out. Now, what I WOULD do is be sure you have proper slopage around the ENTIRE foundation. If you're on a hill, you should have drain tiles all around the foundation. Make sure your gutters are properly hung, and the water runs INTO them; not over, or behind, them. Extend your downspouts MINIMUM 3' from the foundation, the further, the better. Keep your plants, trees, and bushes from 'branching' withing 2' of the foundation. This means you need to plant them FURTHER than 2' from the foundation. (Remember, it's the 'bush-distance' from the foundation; not the trunk/stem distance.) The more sun and air you allow to circulate around the foundation, the DRYER your basement will be. Humidity in a basement is best removed by a Dehumidifier. This is why I fell, generally speaking, that it's best to allow the moisture in. (WE're NOT talking about water in the basement here ...)

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: God Bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC