renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > I am in the process of claiming space....
Login | Register

I am in the process of claiming space....

Posted by BobK on April 1st, 2002 10:14 AM

from my garage to create an additional room in my home. The room may become an office or something on those lines. My garage which is 10' wide by 30' deep, is attached to my house but is unfinished. The wall studs are exposed on three sides. The roof sheathing is also exposed. I plan on creating a new room as I mentioned and need advise on two major points.

First the floor. I need to raise the floor about 5 to 6 inches to bring the floor of the new room even to the rest of the slab in the main house. I am sure there are codes that require a barrier of sorts from the garage, so my thought is to pour a concrete slab onto the existing garage floor instead of using wood to frame it out. Any thoughts on whether or not I can just pour concrete onto concrete?

Second is the ceiling. I want to use the space above this room and the rest of the garage for storage. I need to run ceiling joists acroos the 10 foot span. On the outerwall I do not see a problem because the walls are open so I could just rest the joistd on top of the top plate. But on the opposite wall it is drywalled to the peak. I opened a small piece of the rock to see what is behind there and found a 2 x 12 running the whole 30' length... Can I use joist hangers and hang the new ceiling joists off of this 2 x 12? There will not be a large load up there but I want to be sure it does not come down....

I know this is a long post but I wanted to be clear on my needs... Thanks for any help...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC