> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > I am here - "flashing paint"
Login | Register

I am here - "flashing paint"

Posted by Mr. Paint on April 10th, 2003 06:57 PM
In reply to mr. paint? are you there? by terri roberts on April 9th, 2003 08:22 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hey Terri (Judy too!)

As Steve asked - did you do any patching? If you did - and this would make sense from what you describe - you have what is called "flashing" It is an uneven sheen - either shinier or flatter than the surrounding paint.

If you did not sand your patched areas (or you sanded them to heavily) the patching compound absorbs the paint at a different rate than the surrounding area - so you get a flash.

I have never been a fan of Kilz - but be that as it may - you have a ton of paint on there - too much actually - so a well sealed wall is not likely the issue.

When painting you should never need more than one coat of primer - two coats of primer is either a poor primer - or a waste of primer. If you double coat anything - do two coats of finish.

As for your problem - SW eggshells and many others - have a what is called a high angular sheen - viewed from straight on they appear fairly flat - but the higher angle you view them at - the shinier they become. This angular sheen makes them look better than semi-gloss - but also helps them be somewhat washable.

This would appear to be your problem - on an angle the paint is showing up defects in your wall. It isn't the paints fault - that is just what high angular sheen paints do.

My suggestion would be to either live with it - after you put everything back you aren't likely to notice it as much. Or, if you don't need washability, repaint with a flat paint. Flat paints can have an angular sheen too - so be careful that you get one that doesn't.

Glidden Ultra-Hide/Evermore/and Ralph Lauren Flat paints are all quite flat - and should solve your problem.

Hope that helps!

Mr. Paint

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC