> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > I agree with Jay
Login | Register

I agree with Jay

Posted by bc on February 3rd, 2000 11:26 PM
In reply to Technically Speaking ... by Jay J on February 3rd, 2000 07:57 AM [Go to top of thread]

I agree with Jay. Been there, done that, and almost screwed up. I installed a different brand but I think it is similar. It came with a template to stick on the plenum. I had half of the hole cut with a reciprocating saw before I realized and remembered the air conditioner condenser was sitting on the furnace right behind the hole. Luckily I didn't hit it with the saw. I taped the cut and moved up a couple feet. Mine was the type that had a damper and a 6" pipe that went over to the return as a bypass.

If it comes with one of those funky and eventually leaky saddle valves to tap into your plumbing, I would trash it, install a regular tee in the plumbing and then add a ball valve to shut off the water to the humidifier when it isn't being used. After the ball valve, use a reducer to the 1/4" tubing or just put an 1/2"by1/4" angle stop on the end to make your reduction and also give double shut off protection. You may have to go to a plumbing supply store (or home cheapo, etc.) to find one that goes to 1/4".

On your wire from the humidifier to the inside of the furnace, I would install a metal work box on the side of the furnace with a regular on/off switch on it. That way you can cut the power to the humidifier if you want to work on it (even if it is only 24 volts). Good luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC