> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > I agree but, ...
Login | Register

I agree but, ...

Posted by Jason on February 15th, 2003 09:48 AM
In reply to Plan first by tomh on February 14th, 2003 11:41 PM [Go to top of thread]

after you draw up some plans, you need to check with your local Building Inspector to see if what you drew up is safe.

Often people build rooms in a basement thinking that "Hey, no one will know. I don't need permits.", Wrong!!!

A homeowner can do their own plumbing and wiring but it still has to be done to code!

Many inspectors will work with you if you don't think that they will lay out the whole job for you.

I would recomend you look at the Home Depot 1-2-3 books. Wiring 1-2-3 for example will show you how to map the job.

Once you draw up your plans and talk with the inspector and find out what you need to do, to do the job right and safely, (it's your family), then you can go ahead and do the estimating part of the project.

Yes, I'm a Zoning Officer/Housing Code Inspector.

Your neighbors will probably tell you that you don't need permits, these are the same neighbors that after your town has a revaluation, will call the Assessor or Zoning Enforcement and complain that you should be assessed higher than them because you have a finished basement! They always end thwe call with, "Oh, don't tell them it was me who told you because we play cards every Friday night".

Sorry for running on but, just thought I would save you some headaches in the future.

Good luck,

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC