> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > I agree
Login | Register

I agree

Posted by bc on January 24th, 2001 10:41 AM
In reply to With all due respect, contact a...... by Steve: on January 24th, 2001 09:05 AM [Go to top of thread]

I agree with Steve. Contact your local lumber yard that sells beams and trusses and engineered beams, etc. They can size it for you. Tell them that it is supporting another floor. The spans are different for different types of lumber and beams. You may want to consider a steel beam also.

I've seen triple 2by12's used in a similar size situation but yours is supporting another story also. According to tables I have, 13'6' may be stretching it for triple 2by12s. Before going to quadruple 2by12s, I'd look to engineered beams or steel. A lumber yard that carries beams and builds trusses can set you up or get an architect or engineer to do it. I don't know if the home cheapos are set up to do that or not.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC