> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Hurd Windows and Doors
Login | Register

Hurd Windows and Doors

Posted by Ann O'Malley on November 24th, 2002 12:43 PM
In reply to Hurd Windows by mary schultz on February 6th, 2001 04:12 PM [Go to top of thread]

We built our home in 1993, and chose Hurd windows and doors after a lot ofresearch. We got screwed in a huge way. The bulk of the actual dollars will start flying out of our pockets when we go to sell. First off, every window that had direct sunlight on it now has a broken seal. And, in this house, there are an awful lot of windows that had direct sunlight on them. Some of the other windows also have broken seals. Two arched windows started leaking the year we built; the rest have gradually filled with vapor since then. Repeated contact with the company brought no resolution--this summer we replaced a large slider door set, two windows in a bay window seat insert, and one window in the basement. The basement one had a beebee hole in it so I'll give 'em that one. But, if we were to go around the house and replace every single leaker, it would be thousands and thousands of $$$$$$$. The hardware handles on the door, while huge, are crap, and have no way to tighten them so they flop from side to side. I am a clean window freak, and the directions for washing our casement windows state that you can easily clean them by opening them fully and cleaning them from the inside. Any adult who can stick his or her arms through that slim opening and properly clean a stinkin' Hurd window has bigger worries than dirty windows. No man who could lift over 20# could possibly do it; no woman who can lift a mop could either! Their warranty was crappy in the 90s--even the guy they sent out to replace them said, "Oh, yeah, we had a whole lot of trouble with those heat mirror things." Some of them look like carnival fun house mirrors from the street. I would steer clear of Hurds--I don't care how much they've improved. Hurd knowingly sold windows to the public that were junk and refused to stand behind them. Big BIG disappointment here!--Ann Oh, and Mary, it is "a lot," not alot. Hope my message measures up to your scrutiny.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC