> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Humidity happens
Login | Register

Humidity happens

Posted by Henry in MI on April 1st, 2000 10:01 PM
In reply to Pine planking, random widths...installation and finishing by George Maurer on April 1st, 2000 10:16 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi, George. I think that you may be on the road to big problems. I am not a flooring pro, but I do know that wood expands and contracts across it's width significantly and by a much higher percentage than it expands and contracts along it's length with changes in humidity. Those wide boards are going to cause you problems. A great subfloor will help significantly but not eliminate problems with gaps between the boards in the future. There is a reason for the narrow width boards and tongue and groove joints that are in most modern floors and that is because they minimize the gaps that occur as wood moves to accommodate the changes in humidity. Being in a kitchen will cause more cleaning problems than you would have in other rooms not subject to spillage, dropped water and ice cubes, grease in the air, leaky pipes, etc.

I think that you should call in the best pro in your area you can find having significant experience in this type of flooring. You want someone that can tell you the best time of the year to lay your floor, how long the wood should be in the house to acclimitize it to your environment and so on. There is nothing wrong with doing the work yourself but you really should do it under expert direction and expect to pay for his expertise. You have a significant amount of money in the wood which you could easily lose by laying a floor that will cause you nothing but problems in the future. You probably did not expect to hear this but I have seen too many floor problems on this board to give you an easy answer now. If I did, I am sure that you would be back here or on another board with a lot tougher problems to solve in the future.

Good luck
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC