renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Humidistat Setting for Attic Fan
Login | Register

Humidistat Setting for Attic Fan

Posted by Billy on November 1st, 2001 10:11 AM

9 of 22 people found this post helpful

My attic fan is controlled by a thermostat (for venting heat in the summer) and a humidistat (for venting excess moisture in the winter). The summertime setting for the attic fan thermostat is no problem, but the winter setting for the attic fan humidistat is more difficult.

The problem that I want to avoid is when the outdoor humidity rises to high levels because of rain or snow, I don't want the attic fan to run continuously. Do I set the humidistat to a very high humidity setting such as 90% or more? Will this solve the problem of the fan running continously and more importantly will it get rid of the moisture before it condenses inside the attic? I don't know if the humidistat makes any compensation for temperature and dew point. (I live in Maryland near Baltimore & Washington DC).

One solution is to install a timer that only lets the fan run for perhaps 5 minutes per hour, if the humidity level is high. Does anyone know where I can find such a timer?

If anyone has an attic fan on a humidistat I'm interested in how you set it. Thanks.
--Billy

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2014 Renovate Your World LLC