> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum >
Login | Register

Posted by try this site on February 10th, 2002 06:07 PM
In reply to Paint as a Vapor Barrier by Karen Glasen on April 21st, 1998 10:59 PM [Go to top of thread]

2 of 2 people found this post helpful

Where and Why to Use B-I-N Primer-Sealer
B-I-N can be used on all interior surfaces. Details are given below.
Recommended exterior applications are spot priming knots, sap streaks, stained areas, weathered areas, spackled nail heads, etc. and priming aluminum gutters, downspouts, vents.

Where It's Used
Why It Works

Porous Surfaces
New Wood, Wallboard (drywall), Spackled Areas, Taped Joints, Cured Plaster, Old Plaster, Wallpaper, Unfinished Furniture, Sculpture, Cured Concrete, Masonry
B-I-N seals surface pores so you use less finish paint. Finish coat has rich uniform appearance, with no "high" and "low" spots. Finish resists dirt better and has better scrubbability.

Stained Surfaces
Oil and Greas-Stained Kitchen Walls and Ceilings, Water Stains on Ceilings and Ceiling Tile, Stains for Graffiti, Crayon, Lipstick, Marking Pens, Creosote, Asphalt, Sappy Streaks and Knots in New Wood, Smudge and Soot from Fire and Smoke Damage, Stained and Varnished Woodwork, Wallcovering with Bleeding Colors
One coat of B-I-N kills - that is, covers and locks in - even the worst stains that bleed through muliple coats of paint. With B-I-N, there in no bleed-through into the top coat to ruin the job.

Hard-To-Stick-To Surfaces
Gloss-Painted Woodwork, Dense Hardboard, Chipboard, Glass, Formica, Ceramic Tile, PVC Pipe, Metal Pipes, Radiators, Grillwork, Fire Doors, Galvanized Ductwork
B-I-N adheres tenaciously to these dense, smooth and slick surfaces. No sanding or etching or deglossing agents are needed to get a firm bond. B-I-N provides an "anchor" for the top coat so it can't be chipped or scraped off easily.

Dark or Unwanted Colors
Woodwork, Doors, Walls, Cabinets, Wallcovering
Whatever horrible paint or wallcovering may have been used before, you can make a new start with B-I-N. One coat will transform the grimmest, darkest colors into a flat white ready for new finish paint or wallcovering.

Food Handling Establishments
Refridgerator Rooms, Cold Lockers, Food Processing Plants, Daries, Breweries
B-I-N's use in meat and poetry processing plants is approved by the FDA. B-I-N's lack of residual odor, coupled with its fast dry and absence of toxic components, make it ideal for such use. (It's also safe for children's toys and cribs.)

Wall and Ceiling Vapor Barrier
Water vapor in homes migrates into walls and attics if the walls and ceilings don't have vapor barrier paint. There it condenses on insulation. Wet insulation is less effective so more heat escapes and fuel consumption increases. Such moisture can also cause structural wet rot and, on passing through the outer wall, blistering and peeing of exterior paint.
Priming walls and ceilings with B-I-N prior to painting keeps moisture in the house. This makes the house more comfortable, cuts down on heat loss and lowers energy costs. The Federal Housing Administration says an acceptable vapor barrier has a "perm" rating of less than 1. ("Perm" is a unit of measuring the permeablility of a substance to moisture. The lower the number, the better the vapor barrier.) B-I-N's rating is 0.4 perms - an exceptional vapor barrier

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC