renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > How to repair and restore Terrazzo floors
Login | Register

How to repair and restore Terrazzo floors

Posted by Patrick on October 25th, 2003 10:26 AM
In reply to Terrazzo Floor Repair by Jude on January 30th, 2003 07:37 PM [Go to top of thread]

78 of 89 people found this post helpful

I know this is late for all of you who have asked, but here is what I have found.

As stated before, in order to avoid cracks and divots in the Terrazzo use a grinding tool to cut and grind the nails down to the surface. Do not attempt to pull the nail out. If there is a stud or carpet tacking, work around the area where it is attached to the floor leaving the wood in place. Go back and carefully remove the wood, but leave the nail for grinding later.

If you have cracks or divots in your Terrazzo, the best way to repair them is with an Epoxy. These kits are sold to contractors and can be found on the web by companies like Bradley (but this doesn't appear to be for flooring, they have a product called Terreon)

http://www.bradleycorp.com/prodinfo/fixtures/founts/repair.htm

or Sherman Williams. There is a site for Sherman Williams

http://www.generalpolymers.com/archbinder/index.asp

This site has various repairs kits, but the most difficult part is finding one that matches your color. Follow the instructions that come with the repair kit for fixing cracks and divots.

(I recommend doing the stripping, cleaning before the Epoxy repairs).

As for stripping, cleaning, sealing and polishing the Terrazzo; you can find all the rental equipment you need at Home Depot or other rental stores. They have guides and information on the procedures for Terrazzo restoration while using their equipment.

The last choice to find a local Terrazzo repair service. I live in Orlando and had several came out to look at my house. Repairs included the fixing of the cracks, stripping, cleaning, sealing and polishing the Terrazzo. The cost was around $4000 for 1800 sq. ft. of flooring (which had a lot of damage.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2014 Renovate Your World LLC