> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > how to install a shingle roof
Login | Register

how to install a shingle roof

Posted by brad on January 18th, 2001 12:28 AM
In reply to how to install a roof by frank on August 1st, 2000 08:16 PM [Go to top of thread]

6 of 23 people found this post helpful

how to install a shingle roof over plywood 1st. you install 15lb. or 30lb. felt then you take a tape measure and hang it over bottom of roof about 2 inches depends what hang over you would like hang it over bottom of roof the hang over you want recommended 2incns if you have a facia board on house if not 3 inches then mark it on the 12 inch line and then pull your tape up and put it in the mark you just made then mark every 10 inches repeat on oppisit side of roof that will get you a straight line across bottom of roof and the rest of the marks will make shingles straight all the way across the roof pull a halk line and pop all lines to the top now for the what you call 30 36 this will help you get the shingles (water members)straight up and down fist like you did on the bottom of roof you decide what hang over you want recomended 1 inch if you have a facia if not 2 inches hang tape over what you decide then mark it on 12 30 36 repeat this at top of roof pop your lins with a chalk box this will give you all line you need to keep your shingles straight up and down and from side to side now to install the shingles 1st you put a starter shingle on the botton line and the 36 line you poped going up the roof then you take another shingle and you lay it on the 12 inch line going up the side of roof this will give you a straight edge then you turn another shingle up right and put it on top of the bottom shingle except this time you will move it over 6 inches on the 30 inch mark and then you stagger every other shingle 6 inches on the markes you have made to keep the shingles straight up and down i hope i have helped you on your question if you need any more info you can contact me at 404 570 5821 or e.mail me at bkw

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC