> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > how to ground a box concern :)
Login | Register

how to ground a box concern :)

Posted by john on February 4th, 2003 09:12 AM

I am replacing all outlets in my home with designer outlets. I noticed that the existing ground wires (12 ga) are twisted together in the box and not enough lenth to reach the outlets. The twisted ground wires are not touching the box, therefor I have no ground on the old outlets.
I have already screwed the ground wires to the box with a washer and a 8-32 screw. I am hoping with the outlet screwed in placed on the box my ground problem will be resolved (which it is ).
Since I have my whole home to do and have only done a handfull of outlets I am reflecting on my work so far. THe main question I have is if this is against code. I realize code do not mean much to a doityourselfer, but I would redue what I have done if it is completly unsafe.
Some say wrap 14 ga wire around the two 12 ga, and run to outlet,,, but that does not sound right to me with the ga difference. Can I leave it the way it is, or maybe us a wire nut and twist 3 12 ga wires in it and run one to the outlet?? THanx in advance for all your answers.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC