> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > How to Book on replacing carpeted stairs with hardwd
Login | Register

How to Book on replacing carpeted stairs with hardwd

Posted by William Shirey on October 31st, 2002 10:28 AM
In reply to Stair treads - thanks Henry and Steve by Frederick on February 12th, 2001 09:35 AM [Go to top of thread]

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

I too am planning to replace carpeted stairs with oak steps. Also, I want to install wood flooring on the upper landing, which means removing all the handrail as well. Is there a DIY book that might cover this?
I have some general questions so I can do some planning. I realize there will be some "surprises" during installation.
1. Could the present risers be reused if they are to be painted white, or will they be damaged by remocal of the treads?
2. There is a baseboard type of moulding that runs up the stairs. Is it likely the treads and risers go under this moulding, requiring removal?
How do you keep from damaging the drywall during removal?
3. Can I swap the old treads with new one at a time? All the bedrooms are upstirs and we need access.
4. How are the railing newels and balusters attached to the flooring? Will they be ruined by removing them?
5. If I start the flooring on the upper landing at the wall and work toward the edge of the landing, how do I finish it at the edge?
6. How would one mark the holes for the railing balusters and newels in the new flooring (3/4"oak strips)? Is there premade oak flooring available with the holes already drilled? Is there a recommendation on a temporary railing that can be used while the exsiting railing is off?
7. If the bedrooms remain carpeted, do you carry the flooring to the centerline of the door thresholds?
8. There is a balcony door on the upper landing. How do you terminate the flooring at this outside door threshold?
9. Downstairs has wood flooring with baseboard and quarter-round. Does the flooring usually end under the quarter-round? If true, then I would not have to remove the baseboard on the upper landing, only add the quarter-round.
10. Would the flooring typically be installed in a hall closet, or existing carpet left?
11. How is flooring installed at exsiting door jambs that extend to the subfloor? Do you remove the outside moulding and trim it?
Thanks for any and all help!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC