> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > how to add a sump pit and reroute weeping tiles
Login | Register

how to add a sump pit and reroute weeping tiles

Posted by Randy East on March 7th, 2003 07:51 PM

2 of 2 people found this post helpful

I live in the country and have a holding tank and septic field for waste water dispersal. The problem is, my house was built in the era where sump pits were not the norm and my situation is fairly typical of a house of its age. The weeping tiles coming from the perimeter footings of the house are routed into the catch basin (floor drain) in my basement. This catch basin runs along with my main sewage line into the holding tank which eventually gets pumped out to the septic field. What happens everything works fine until you get a heavy spring runoff from the snow and whenever there is a heavy rainfall which seems to happen more often these days with the changing weather patterns. When you have this condition my holding tank fills up quite quickly and the pump operates, pumping the water out to the field. The pump operates quite often, I have seen it operate every 15 or 20 minutes and the holding tank is not a small one. My field gets quite saturated at times and I don't want to spend a fortune to replace it. I would think the sensible solution is to add a sump pit and reroute the weeping tiles to the pit, then install a separate pump for the pit to pump the excess water a safe distance from the house and therefore saving my septic field from saturation. Does anyone have any experience with installing a sump pit and connecting weeping tiles to it? I have some questions such as what size pit to use, etc. as when I go to Home Depot for example, they have an 18" diameter and a 36" diameter pit - is there a wrong size to use?
Another idea I have thought of is to cut the pipe come out of the base of the catch basin and splicing a new piece on and routing it to the new sump pit I install, then cap the other side of the drain pipe. I could cut a hole in the top of the sump pit and use it as a floor drain. Is this feasible or would the rerouting of the weeping tiles be a better idea? Any help would be appreciated.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC