> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > How To ...
Login | Register

How To ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on October 8th, 2001 11:23 AM
In reply to Pocket Door Installation by Melissa on October 8th, 2001 10:27 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Mel',

Well, you should be pleased to know that whichever door your buy, it SHOULD come w/instructions on how to install it. I suggest you get the WIDEST door possible (but realize you'll need AT LEAST that width x 2 (because of the pocket too) when considering 1) how much wall you need, and 2) if you can fit it. (The trim around the opening is 'extra ...)

This info is all over the WEB. (That's more good news.) Read the articles, each and all of them for useful trivia. It will help you in the bigger picture. Pocket Door Article and Pocket Door Install I and Pocket Door Install II

One thing you might want to remember, which is NOT in the paperwork, is that you DON'T want to 'hang' or 'nail' anything on the wall that 'houses' the pocket. Every now and then, I hear of someone that's hammered in a Picture Nail and now the door won't open (or close)! Can you imagine why??? Also, consider buying a door whose door can be removed from the tracking WITHOUT having to remove the trim that's on the pocket. In other words, if a roller wears out and it needs to be replaced, you want to be able to remove the door (or the roller) with the door OUT of the pocket. My 2 doors, in particular, are older ones that would have to have their trim removed in order to get at anything.

My 'newest' pocket door is from Stanley. It's simply solid pine with glass panes, and it's separating the Family Room from the Dining Room. We have carpeting on the floor so when you close the door, you hear absolutely nothing!

If you have more ?'s, you know where to find us. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: God Bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC