renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > HOW THIRSTY ARE YOU ???
Login | Register

HOW THIRSTY ARE YOU ???

Posted by Jay J on May 10th, 2000 09:15 AM
In reply to HELP, WATER IN DUCTS. by MARK on May 10th, 2000 12:57 AM [Go to top of thread]

MARK,

YOU AREN'T LEAVING AN OPTION HERE WITH HOW TO GET RID OF THE WATER ON YOUR LOT. IF YOU CAN'T PUMP IT ANYWHERE, IF YOU CAN'T 'ROUTE' IT ANYWHERE, AND IF YOU CAN'T STORE IT ANYWHERE, THE ONLY OTHER OPTION WOULD BE TO DRINK IT!

FOR STARTERS, IN THE VAST MAJORITY OF MUNICIPALITIES, WATER THAT RUNS 'NATURALLY' OFF A LOT IS LEGAL. IT'S ONE THING TO, SAY, DIG A TRENCH TO YOUR PROPERTY LINE IN ORDER TO CHANNEL WATER AWAY FROM YOUR FOUNDATION WHEREAS THE WATER IS NOW YOUR NEIGHBORS PROBLEM. THAT'S ILLEGAL. EVEN INSTALLING GUTTERS THAT ROUTE WATER AWAY FROM YOUR FOUNDATION WHERE IT HAPPENS TO EVENTUALLY RUN ONTO YOUR NEIGHBORS LOT IS LEGAL. AGAIN, AS LONG AS YOU DON'T ALTER THE NATURAL FLOW, YOU CAN 'LET IT RUN' ...

THE ONLY 2 OPTIONS I SEE IS TO DIG A DRY WELL OR INSTALL A FRENCH DRAIN. OPTION 1 STILL NEEDS TO HAVE ITS WATER 'ROUTED' TO IT. OPTION 2 STILL NEEDS TO HAVE THE WATER TAKEN TO EITHER THE STREET OR A DRY WELL. BOTTOM LINE, YOU HAVE SOME BACK-BREAKING WORK TO DO IF YOU ARE DOING THIS YOURSELF. THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT A RECENT ISSUE OF THE FAMILY HANDYMAN HAS AN EXCELLENT ARTICLE ON FRENCH DRAINS. IT'S WORTH THE FEW $$$ TO BUY. (TRY A LIBRARY FIRST, OR ORDER IT FROM THE PUBLISHER.)

HERE ARE A NUMBER OF LINKS ON THE FORUM ON THE SUBJECT OF FRENCH DRAINS AND DRYWELLS. (IT'S A POPULAR QUESTION ON THE FORUM.) MY BEST TO YA AND HOPE THIS HELPS.

FRENCH DRAINS AND/OR DRY WELLS I, and FRENCH DRAINS AND/OR DRY WELLS II, and FRENCH DRAINS AND/OR DRY WELLS III, and FRENCH DRAINS AND/OR DRY WELLS IV, and FRENCH DRAINS AND/OR DRY WELLS V, and FRENCH DRAINS AND/OR DRY WELLS VI.

JAY J

PS: I'VE USED CAPITAL LETTERS BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW IF YOUR EYES GIVE YOU TROUBLE WHEN READING LOWER-CASE LETTERS. OTHERWISE, PLEASE DON'T USE CAPITAL LETTERS. IT'S TOO EARLY IN THE MORNING FOR A HEADACHE!!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC