> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > How much paperhanging have you done?
Login | Register

How much paperhanging have you done?

Posted by Jennifer in KC on February 12th, 2003 07:40 PM
In reply to selection of paper by frc on February 12th, 2003 10:05 AM [Go to top of thread]

If you have limited experience with paperhanging, you won't want to tackle either Anaglypta or Lyncrusta as your first project. They are both excellent papers, but do take a bit of experience with fitting and cutting to get a really good result. They are very stiff and heavy, so are not maleable like paper and can be difficult to work around trim moldings and such. And they are also EXPENSIVE, so you are doubly under the gun to not screw them up.

There are indeed vinyl wallpapers with non-patterns for ceilings. They even have papers with a "popcorn" look, if that's something that appeals to you. I'm not sure I've seen anything that's totally smooth, but then I haven't looked for anything like that. It's probably out there.

The only caution I'd have about other wallpapers for ceilings that you may see in catalogues and the like, is to be sure you know what you're buying. There are embossed papers made with a blend of fibers (including cotton) specifically for ceilings, but they take a specific kind of paste that's made with clay. Spreading the clay is a tricky business, and you have to be sure to fill all of the embossments so they don't collapse when you're smoothing the surface of the paper. It's rather like trying to hang wet, heavy, sticky Bounty paper towels on the ceiling, with a paste that has an open time of about 15 minutes. Definitely not for the beginner, either.

Check at your local Home Depot, Lowe's, or perhaps someplace like Wallpapers-to-Go. They usually have something vinyl and pre-pasted on hand that will do the trick. But I'd still use a separate vinyl paste just because it will give you more open time and better adhesion. Also, you can actually apply the vinyl paste directly to the ceiling (after marking the width of the strip) and then apply the paper over it. Much easier.

Best of luck.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC