> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > How do I repair drywall after removing wallpaper
Login | Register

How do I repair drywall after removing wallpaper

Posted by boris on July 22nd, 2001 06:25 PM
In reply to damaged drywall by Diana on July 22nd, 2001 05:44 PM [Go to top of thread]

2 of 2 people found this post helpful

This shouldnt be a problem, but be prepared for sanding.

First, allow the drywall to dry completely - then sand the damaged areas of the drywall with 120 grit paper on a sanding block. Just to knock of any globs and frays of the paper.

Then - Apply some joint compound to the areas that were torn during the wallpaper removal process. Apply sparingly and try to cover at least 3 inches past the damaged area if some areas of the drywall are ok. Try a 6 in knife to spread it out. That way you wont be tempted to cover the whole wall.

Allow to cure, sand with a sanding block (I like the solid rubber ones best). Change sand paper as needed.

After your finished, apply a coat of primer (the paint you are planning on using will be ok also - You'll just have to put on 3 coats). After the primer dries, look for any imperfections and sand or add more compound as needed.

When you believe it looks good enough, paint another coat and look again. If its still ok , put on the final coat.

I think you get the process. Its finish work and alot easier than redoing the drywall.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC