> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > How big is your lot?
Login | Register

How big is your lot?

Posted by Jason on April 6th, 2002 11:21 AM
In reply to Stairs and porch to entrance over garage height by John Agner on April 5th, 2002 06:49 PM [Go to top of thread]

Greetings John,

First, don't exspect to be e-mailed directly.

This site is a sharing site. Some people learn from here (and some don't). But, never the less, Any responces you get here, will be scrutinized by the rest of the gang. That's kinda like a safety net if someone gives you bad advice.
(Who knows, this may be one of them!)

Now, as far as your question is concerned, I was wondering how large is your lot?

I am seeing your two story cape in my head, and I'm curious why you would not want to build up the land around it? (at least in the front)

I have a modular colonial with a drive under garage/basement. The garage floor is at grade level because of the water table in my area.

I used manufactured masonary blocks to build a retaining wall on the garage side of the house.

I came out from the end of house about 20' before I started the curve and then I started stepping the wall down to grade.

Now on the back of my house, I am in the middle of building a deck that is one story off the ground and upon compleation will be about 46' long and 12' out.

I know that you are looking to build this deck over your driveway, kinda like a carport before you enter the garage. You might be able to use the wall as part of the support for the deck! I would build a wrap around, I think?

I know there are plenty of books (like the Orange book of projects at HD) and there are CDs on deck building. I think I would advise you to visit a wholesale club like a "Sam's Club" and purchase on of the CDs and start experimenting with it.

I am assuming that you have already orderd the Cape and the side door is going to be over the garage!

Make sure your foundation people and setting crew are on the ball.

Good luck,

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC